This is not a blog that delves into political issues, but I happened to notice that the Obama transition team released the names of all their donors today. However, inexplicably, they don't have them in a CSV format for easy slicing and dicing in your favorite data analysis software.
Some interesting bits of information:
- Google is the employer with the most total donations at $14,200 (from “Google” and “Google, Inc.”, 8 employees).
- Microsoft employees only gave $500 (2 employees)
- 74 different colleges and universities were represented for $25,900 (81 employees)
- 4 people who defined themselves as “Not Employed” gave a total of $11,250.
- There are 1,776 donors in the list. Mere coincidence… or more evidence that Obama is truly “that one” (alternatively, the list could have been hacked because he is “the one“)?
The data is a little bit dirty (particularly the “Employer” field), but you might have some fun poking around. Shoot us a message in the comments if you find anything interesting.
P.S. Also, I saw this article about data overload during the campaign… looks like the Federal Election Commission could have used the Kirix Strata government discount.